Sunday, November 19, 2006

It was bound to happen

Gentle readers, there is only so long a person with as fair skin as I can last on a beach under the Equatorial Sun before a slight miscalculation can lead to painful results. In this case, the miscalculation was placing my trust in spray on sunscreen.

A previous sunburn had resulted in my inability to reach the middle of my back. The Melbournian Sun made me pay quite severely for that mistake. So I decided that when I arrived here in Maui, I would get some other sunscreen that would be more easily applied. Spray on sunscreen seemed to be the best answer.

However, I discovered the fatal flaw with this type of application the hard way. I thought I had been very thorough, spraying and spreading the sunscreen liberally, but found out later that day, and more painfully the next, that this sunscreen does not, in point of fact, spread.

So as I sit here, writing this entry, I'm doing my best impression of an albino leopard. Everywhere I sprayed the sunscreen on is lightly tanned, but still fairly pale. Everywhere I thought I had spread the sunscreen to is a delightful pink.

At some point before the end of this trip, I will have to take a picture of all the failed sunscreen measures. It's a growing collection. But, whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and in this case, leathery and supple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home