Sunday, October 01, 2006

I mean, really, who does this?

So Saturday was the Grand Final for the Australian Football League (AFL). Imagine the Superbowl. It has been hyped for weeks, in every form of media, and I was looking forward to watching it. Now usually, when a game is played locally, they delay the broadcast of it for about 30 minutes, or roughly one quarter, so that it encourages people to either go to the stadium, a pub, or get the game on pay-per-view. However, when I switched on the tv, I saw the game playing on the station that plays all the games at real time, so I figured since it was the last game of the season, and the stadium was sold out, they were playing it live.

They weren't. Now here's where it gets eerie.

Apparently last year in the grand final, the exact same two teams played. It was a closely contested match for the entire game, with the same side down at half time as this year. This year was a closely contested match for the entire game. But for reasons that I will never understand, during the exact time that the 2006 Grand Final was happening, they were rebroadcasting the 2005 Grand Final on television. The game always happens in the same stadium, and the at the same time of year, so everything looked right on the television. Right teams, right stadium, right lighting conditions, right advertisements, right everything.

To make matters more confusing, at half time they really did go live to the stadium and interview players from the 2006 Grand Final about the game so far. Then went to the studio, where the hosts discussed the game. But when it was time to resume play, they returned to the rebroadcast of 2005.

What ultimately messed everything up was that the team that won in 2005 was the team that lost in 2006. So after watching what I thought was the Grand Final, and still having the score and highlights fresh in my head, I went out for coffee Sunday morning and the front page of every paper was telling me I was delusional and crazy, for the team I had just watched win had in fact lost.

So I repeat my question: Who does that? With two games so nearly identical, who thinks it's a good idea to rebroadcast one at the exact time the other is taking place, when it's a game of this significance? Morons, that's who. Shouldn't have expected anything better from the Fox network.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home