Sunday, September 10, 2006

It's a Small World of Crazy AFL fans after all

So the playoffs have started in the AFL. Very interesting format. The top 8 teams in the league make the playoffs. 1 plays 4, 2 plays 3, 5 plays 8, and 6 plays 7 on the first weekend. This was this weekend past. Next weekend, the losers from the two games of the top 4 teams play the winners of the two games from the bottom 4 teams, and the winners from the top 4 get a rest. The losers from the bottom 4 teams are out. The following weekend, the winners from the top 4 teams play the winners from the second weekend, and the last weekend in September is the grand final, between the winners from the third weekend. Everybody get it? Good.

Because it's playoffs, everyone plays a little harder, and a little rougher. How much rougher? The last of the three games i watched this weekend was stopped with 1 SECOND off the clock in the first quarter, because there were three players down on one team with serious injury, and the ball was under one of them. absolutely crazy levels of roughness. And then there was a quaint intermission at half time, with local 8-10 year old leagues playing on the field. After which, the bloodshed resumed for the second half. Honestly, this game is so rough, even Mayans and Incas of years gone by would say "whoa, dude, you might want to back it off a bit"

Yesterday, I went to watch the game live with two local guys named Chris and Ed, or as they prefer to be called, Trimma and Bacon. How do I know Trimma and Bacon? They met my bartender friend Joe while all of them were backpacking through the Czech Republic. I know Joe from Seattle. As far as I know, Joe does not have any nicknames derived from a pork product. But Joe connected me with Trimma and Bacon before I left Seattle, and yesterday was the first time I mananged to connect with them here. The most amusing part for me was listening to Trimma describe himself on the phone, to help me find him in a crowd at the stadium. He's giving the usual "I have short brown hair, i'm somewhat tall, slender..." at which point I interrupted and said "I'm the only 7ft guy in Melbourne. I think you'll be able to find me easily" End descriptive conversation.

Next weekend I'll be going to Philip Island, about 40 miles away, to watch the Australian MotoGP race. Imagine F1 racing, but with motorcycles. Should be both very exciting and very loud. I am definitely looking forward to it.

And that is all for now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home