Saturday, November 18, 2006

Filling the hours of the day...



This is by far one of the hardest tasks I've had to do in recent years. I must admit that I did not account for this factor when I planned to come here, and am now struggling with the challenge it presents

[/tongue in cheek]

Yesterday was an exceptionally clear day, and so I had a pretty good view of the islands of Molokai and Lanai from the beach I have been visiting since I got here. I don't know the exact distance of either island from the shore upon which I was standing, but I would guess it's at least 10 miles. I was so moved by these views that I immediately laid down in the sand and stayed there for the next few hours.

The beach itself is pretty amazing. It's divided in half by an old lava flow, creatively named Blackrock, upon which sits a hotel, the Sheraton I believe. I have been visiting the northern half, which easily runs for 2 miles along the shore. the sand is soft, and there is an easy 20 - 30 ft of beach before the high tide line. I'm still hoping to get to the southern half, which I guess must be better, for that is where both Westin hotels have been built, and they're not known for shoddy locations.

Further north are two other beaches I hope to soon visit, Napili and Kapalua. These are closer to the north shore of Maui, and thus should see more wave action. Much of the surfing on Maui takes place here.

I went to visit a sushi restaurant last night which had been recommended by a friend of mine, named Sansei's. The sushi was amazing, but I will have to return to it later next time, as after 10pm on Thursdays and Fridays, much of the menu is 50% off. It also becomes a Kareoke bar, but I think I will save the patrons the experience of my Johnny Cash renditions.

Today, I plan to do less than nothing. Sleep will be the order of the day, and I think it best to do that out of the sun. I'm still catching up from the marathon of work I did prior to leaving Australia. I remarked earlier to someone that this was a unique vacation because, due to its length, I feel no rush to do anything. It's really quite liberating.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home