Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Attack of the Hives Pt II: The Return

About two weeks ago, I finally decided that the "bug bites" that were spreading over my shoulders were not actually bites, but hives resulting from an allergic reaction to something. I mentioned this to some coworkers, many of whom told me that they too were allergic to some of the materials here on site. I work around a lot of concrete dust, carbon fibre dust, and general crapola, so it's not too far-fetched to imagine myself reacting to some of it, especially in lieu of the previous bronchial issue. So, I went to the same doctor as last time, and he gave me come cortizone pills to clear it up.

At the same time, I had moved out of the place I had been living in, and into an apartment with my good friend and coworker Robert, aka DRB. During the course of the week there, the hives cleared up, and I attributed this solely to the medicine.

This week, the project manager arrived, and moved into the apartment with DRB, displacing me. This had always been the plan, so I moved back into my old bedroom at the previous place.

As it turns out, my initial thinking that the hives were actually bug bites was all too true. I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and discovered a bug crawling up my arm, roughly the size of a large tick. maybe the diameter of a pencil lead. I flicked it off in disgust. When i returned to bed, i turned on the lights to see if there were any other bugs, only to discover an easy 3 dozen of the little buggers crawling over the bed, as well as blood spots decorating the sheets where they had been feasting on me like a vegas buffet. And i noticed many bites on my skin in the mirror, mostly concentrated on my shoulders.

By morning, the hives had returned, big time, and by the end of the day, they had spread down my arms to my wrists, connected across my back at the base of my neck, and spread onto my chest and sides. And they itch like all get out.

Needless to say, I'm not sleeping at that apartment any more. I packed up all my stuff and dropped it at DRB's place, where I am also sleeping on a spare bed. The woman in charge of housing here is looking for new places, as the other two guys living in my old place are not thrilled by the idea of staying there much longer, and the landlord has been deaf to our complaints for months now.

Fortunately, the script for the cortizone was much more than i needed to get rid of the hives last time, and I have much of it left over. So once again i'm drugging myself in the name of self improvement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home