Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Melbourne Cup

There is a very large and historic horserace that occurs every year in Melbourne, and has for the past 146 years, called the Melbourne Cup. It has become so big an event that it is now a public state holiday, and the entire city comes to the racecourse. As this was my last week here, I decided to go.

However, it is very bad form to come to a racecourse underdressed, and since I had not packed any of my suits, I decided to rent an outfit. Since I've always wanted to try wearing one, I decided to rent a kilt.

It was a really fun, albiet chilly day, but I was definitely one of the star attractions of the field, being photographed by numerous passers-by and even filmed for a segment on the Australian Currrent Affair television show. The jersey I'm wearing is the Sydney Swans AFL jersey, last year's title winners, and subject of some previous posts. Apparently I also bear some resemblance to a famous member of that team from years past, so was cheered often as I walked around.

I was even greeted by some true Scotsmen, who complimented me on my kilt, and said i carried it off well. But initially they wanted to know if I was actually Scottish, because I would have held some sort of record for Largest Scotsman Ever if I was.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home